Cite item

Full Text

Open Access Open Access
Restricted Access Access granted
Restricted Access Subscription or Fee Access


Aim. To determine the treatment strategy for patients with renal tumors and coexistent contralateral kidney stone. Materials and methods. From 2006 to 2015, 1380 and 4833 patients underwent surgery for renal tumours and kidney stones, respectively. The combination of stone disease and renal tumor was found in 159 (11.5%) patients, of whom 61 patients had indications for surgical treatment of both diseases at the time of hospital admission. Of these, 17 (27.9%) patients (8 men and 9 women) had renal tumors and coexistent contralateral kidney stone. Results.. Initial surgery for stones was performed in 10 (58.8%) cases. In the remaining 7 (41.2%) patients, the first operation was for renal tumors. None of the patients underwent simultaneous removal of the contralateral kidney stone. The most common types of treatment for kidney stones were percutaneous nephrolithotripsy and extracorporeal shock-wave lithotripsy. Twelve (70.6%) patients underwent partial nephrectomy, the remaining 5 (29.4%) had nephrectomy. In total, 17 patients with renal tumors and coexistent contralateral kidney stones were treated using 11 different treatment combinations. These results show the need to define treatment strategies for each patient individually, taking into account all possible factors. Conclusions. In patients with renal tumors and coexistent contralateral kidney stone, the basic principle of surgical treatment is to perform an organ-sparing surgery, given technical feasibility and normal function of kidney, affected by the tumor.

Full Text

Restricted Access

About the authors

E. V Shpot’

I.M. Sechenov First MSMU, Research Institute of Uronephrology and Human Reproductive Health

Department of Urology

A. M Pshikhachev

I.M. Sechenov First MSMU, Research Institute of Uronephrology and Human Reproductive Health

PhD, Urologist


  1. Ljungberg B., Campbell S.C., Choi H.Y., Jacqmin D., Lee J.E., Weikert S., Kiemeney L.A. The epidemiology of renal cell carcinoma. Eur Urol. 2011;60(4): 615-621.
  2. Cho E., Adami H.O., Lindblad P. Epidemiology of renal cell cancer. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2011;25(4):651-665.
  3. Najeeb Q., Masood I., Bhaskar N., Kaur H., Singh J., Pandey R., Sodhi K.S., Prasad S., Ishaq S., Mahajan R. Effect of BMI and urinary pH on urolithiasis and its composition. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl. 2013;24(1): 60-66.
  4. Аповuхuн О.И., Сивков А.В., Москалева Н.Г., Солнцева Т.В., Комарова В.А. Анализ урологической заболеваемости и смертности в Российской Федерации за десятилетний период (2002-2012). Экспериментальная и клиническая урология. 2014;2:4-12
  5. Аляев Ю.Г., Пшихачев А.М., Шпоть Е.В., Акопян Г.Н., Проскура А.В. Опухоль почки и рочекареннаябовезнь: существует ли взаимосвязь? Урология. 2016;3:104-106
  6. Hashimoto K., Tsuji H., Hanai T., Katoh Y., Iguchi M. A case of renal cell carcinoma in a nonfunctioning kidney caused by staghorn calculus. Hinyokika Kiyo. 1998;44(2):93-95.
  7. Volavsek M., Strojan-Flezar M., Mikuz G. Thyroid-like follicular carcinoma of the kidney in a patient with nephrolithiasis and polycystic kidney disease: a case report. Diagn Pathol. 2013;8:108.
  8. Manzanilla-Garcia H.A., Lira-Dale A., Rosas-Nava E., Almanza-Gonzalez M.S. Nephron-sparing surgery for clear cell carcinoma in a solitary functional kidney. Case report and literature review. Cir Cir. 2011;79(2):196-201.
  9. Аляев Ю.Г., Григорян З.Г., Крапивин А.А. Опухоль почки в сочетании с мочекаменной болезнью. Монография. М: Клиника урологии ММА им. И.М. Сеченова. 2005:224 p
  10. Глыбочко П.В., Аляев Ю.Г., Пшихачев А.М., Шпоть Е.В., Сорокин Н.И., Дымов А.М., Акопян Г.Н., Чиненов Д.В., Снурницына О.В. Возможности эндовидеохирургических технологий при ипсиватеравьнор сочетании опухоли и камня почки. Урология. 2016;3:70-75
  11. Lane B.R., Campbell S.C., Gill I.S. 10-year oncologic outcomes after laparoscopic and open partial nephrectomy. J Urol. 2013;190(1):44-49.
  12. Gill I.S., Kamoi K., Aron M., Desai M.M. 800 Laparoscopic partial nephrectomies: a single surgeon series. J Urol. 2010;183(1):34-41.
  13. Carini M., Minervini A., Lapini A., Masieri L., Serni S. Simple enucleation for the treatment of renal cell carcinoma between 4 and 7 cm in greatest dimension: progression and long-term survival. J Urol. 2006;175(6):2022-2026.
  14. Minervini A., Rosaria Raspollini M., Tuccio A., DiCristofano C., Siena G., Salvi M., Vittori G., Sebastianelli A., Lapini A., Serni S., Carini M. Pathological characteristics and prognostic effect of peritumoral capsule penetration in renal cell carcinoma after tumor enucleation. Urol Oncol. 2014;32(1):50 e15-22.
  15. Шпоть Е.В., Глыбочко П.В., Аляев Ю.Г., Петровский Н.В., Фиев Д.Н., Пшихачев А.М., Мосякова К.М. Открытая и лапароскопическая энуклеация опухоли почки. Урология. 2014;5:67-71

This website uses cookies

You consent to our cookies if you continue to use our website.

About Cookies